Saturday, March 10, 2012

BACK TO REALITY

The holidays were nice but after a long awaited and well deserved break it was time to go back to reality. A reality that involves long lectures, waking up really early in the morning and going to bed really late at night, reading, reading, and more reading, brain overload, and making the library my second home. Luckily when this reality starts to seem a little too overwhelming, I have the privilege to say I get to live it in Geneva, a truly beautiful place.


Yes, it is freezing cold and way too early to have to walk to a Statistics class, but how could I ever complain when I get to admire this view on my way to the Institute.

The back to school party was a big success. Glow sticks everywhere and familiar faces made the night really special. It was nice to catch up with friends and hear about their holiday adventures.


Getting my project of the ground has been quite the task but all hard work pays off and the first packets have finally been sent. I have gotten wonderful feedback from the participating schools. The students seem excited about the World Connect Project and I couldn’t be happier.

Rotary continues to be of course a big part of my life in Geneva. I finally got to meet all the members of my host club. I was invited to one of their luncheons and given the opportunity to give a short presentation. I was happy to share a little about myself, my country, my Rotary District, and even my experiences here in Geneva with the Swiss Rotarians, all in French!  We exchanged banners, cards, a meal, and wonderful conversations.


This week was also the International Day of Women. I attended a benefit concert with a couple of Geneva Rotaractors that one of the Rotray Clubs in Geneva put together to raise funds for a young women house and school project in Africa. The concert was magnificent and I once again got to meet many wonderful Rotarians. Ironically, it was on this day that I learned that even in conservative Rotary Geneva, there have been some feminist successful movements. The Palais Wilson Rotary Club not only accepts women as members but has a woman as president this year. Rotary Geneve Lac also voted just last year in favor of accepting women as members. I have always loved to see the differences between Rotary clubs around the world, some of which I find really interesting and reflect culture and/or tradition. I, however, love even more that it the commonalities, such as the messages of Service Above Self and cooperation to make a difference that takes precedence. Men Rotarians, women Rotarians, Rotaractors, Interactors and every person that holds these messages at heart can and is part of the Rotary family.


The cold continues and there is a stack of books and articles for me to read on top of my desk. I miss my family, boyfriend and friends. I have some essays to write and emails to respond to. I could really use some sleep and those Birthday-cake Limited Edition Oreos everyone in the States keeps talking about. Reality is here, but even when I sometimes wish things were a lot easier, lets face it, my reality in Geneva is far from being that bad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment