Monday, April 2, 2012

Beautiful Spring

Spring has made its way to Switzerland and oh is it beautiful. With only two more months to go, I have been filing up my schedule with lots of activities. I want to take advantage of my last weeks in Switzerland and at the same time can't wait to be back home with lots of stories to share.



Joining the hiking club is seriously one of the best ideas I have ever had. Switzerland from the top is simply breath taking. I would have never thought of myself as the "outdoorsy type" but the more I hike, the more I breath the fresh air, the more I see the beauty of the Alps, the more I fall in love with nature and with Switzerland.


Le Reculet proved to be quite challenging. I was amazed to see the difference in terrains. Half way up the mountain we went from a rocky ground to hills full of snow. I have come to accept that there is no appropriate clothing or shoes or enough amount of preparation that you can have when taking on these type of adventures, no matter what, a hike is full of surprises!


Le Mole was a long but very pleasant hike. I do not know if it was do to the better weather, the fact that we were climbing the south side of the mountain (which allowed us to avoid the snow), or simply that I am becoming a better fit and a lot better hiker, but this last hike was definitely my favorite. Arriving to the summit and admiring the view while enjoying a meal, taking pictures and celebrating the victory, felt so sureal. I felt so blessed to be able to experience all of it.


One of the harshest things about being abroad is losing your comfort zone. For this reason, building a community is extremely important. When you are far away from the people you love, when events in your life bring you down, when you need a hug or someone to listen, that community is what keeps you going. I have been extremely lucky to find a family here in Geneva. Through good and bad times I do not feel alone because of the amazing friends I have made.


Katrin came to visit from Austria and it was refreshing to catch up and enjoying a girl weekend. Whether it is chitchatting by the lake, taking a walk in old town, drinking hot chocolate at a cute cafe, or having a girl sleepover, I have learned that moments become the best memories because of the people you share them with.


I miss home. I miss my family. I miss my friends. I miss Jovan. I miss the warm texas sun. I miss comfort and familiarity. There are days when I wonder what I am doing here, what I am suppose to be doing, learning, seeing, and living. There are times i wonder if this is right, how my life would be different if I had made different choices. There are times I close my eyes and pray for enlightenment, guidance, a sign, a plan. But then I come to understand that love, life and situations are sometimes unpredictable, unexplainable and we must take them as they come and accept them as they are. We must look at life with good eyes, affront situations with a positive spirit and remember to take with us the best memories.

I might never figure out why I am in Geneva or what I am doing here, but one thing is sure, in my memories and my heart, Geneva will always be walks by the lake, shopping in the old town, UN seminars, saturdays hiking the Alps, delicious chocolate and unlimited fondue, a time of learning and personal growth and friendships of a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment