Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Making it Count

Once again,  adopting an adventurous spirit I have continued my travels throughout Switzerland and beyond. It is amazing how fast time goes by when you keep yourself busy.



Last week, I joined a group of lovely UN interns for a wonderful Sunday in Lausanne. The weather was not the best, but Lausanne is always a nice place to visit. A lovely lunch by the lake and a nice walk downtown can always bring my spirit up even when the sun is missing.



I also had the pleasure of visiting the vineyards in Lacaux. The view was absolutely amazing and once again I enjoyed the multicultural company of some lovely students and interns.


After more than 8 months in Switzerland I FINALLY made my way to Zurich! I was forced, yes forced, to do some shopping since it rained most of the day, but I was also able to walk around town, see the lake and the river, and finally admire a beautiful view of the city. I stayed at my friend Artemis's grandparents house. They were absolutely adorable and great hosts. They even insisted on making me lunch to take with me the next day. I not only felt so cared for, but I was able to enjoy a wonderful conversation with a French Swiss (grandma) and a German Swiss (grandpa) over tea. I love learning about other cultures and hearing the stories of those who have had so many interesting experiences.

For Easter break, I decided to go visit my friend Katrin in Vienna. It was a last minute get away decision, but also one I am extremely glad i made! Austria is beautiful! Katrin once again proved to be an amazing host and tour guide. I spent some time in her family's home in the outskirts of the city and a couple nights in her flat in Vienna. Although my german is pretty rusty, I enjoyed meeting her family and they were all very welcoming and caring.




It was great to visit the city, eat a million different types of bread and pastries, attend a traditional festival, admire the architecture and monuments, shop in the street market and fancy shops, visit museums (I saw The Kiss, my all time favorite painting!), relax in the award winning benches in MQ, submerge myself in the German language, and spend time with one of my best friends. All in all an amazing trip! 

My ambassadorial year is slowly coming to an end and it has surely brought a lot of ups and downs, some of which can be very overwhelming. Sometimes getting away for a few days is exactly what you need to clear up your mind and this trip could not have come at a better time. 

I really miss home and I am still counting down the days to go back, but I am also making the rest of my days here in Switzerland really count. 

2 comments:

  1. We miss you Daniella! I'm so glad Rotary gave the scholarship to such an awesome Rotaractor. You make us proud! Keep having learning, having fun, and dreaming.

    ReplyDelete